Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I spy... with my big fresnel lens



Fresnel lens housed in
Muckelteo's Lighthouse.
As many people could conclude by now, I fancy painting lighthouses. They are the one thing that I will go out of my way to seek when given the oppertunity. It all began with an imitation lighthouse in my home town. So cute... so small... so-- what? It's not a real lighthouse? Nope the happy harbor to which I reside has a "time capsule" with a blinking light and a sign reminding all those ships that enter to slow em on down. Too funny! So in my quest to find real lighthouses, I have encountered many a structure that neither housed a fresnel lens nor (in some cases) ever graced an ocean's side. Here are a few of those such frauds... but fun to look at.
Time Capsule Lighthouse
Gig Harbor
    This is the said time capsule at the mouth of Gig Harbor... all 15 feet high of the lil guy. Yes he does have a little red flashing light on top. In order to raise money for him folks bought capsules in 1988 to locked away stuff that would be reopened in 25 years. I think since the lighthouse was dedicated in '89 then the capsules should be revealed next year.
I have painted this lighthouse 6 times and 3 of them have sold thus far. As small as the little guy is, it is quite the sight with Mount Ranier standing tall behind him.

No comments:

Post a Comment