Sunday, April 25, 2010

Quality verses quanity







I have recently taken a step backwards in my artwork (in so many ways) and aquired a lesson in which to share. Long ago I was introduced to "better materials" and learned the hard way what an incredible improovement a good paintbrush or quality pencils can make. In many ways, 'You get what you pay for,' is a statement well worth its meaning. The down side to this is "sacred art" and the worthiness of working on better materials which can stiffle creativity but more importantly productivity.



Having said that I have a sketch group that meets 2 nights a week for 3 hours a night. In the course of that 3 hours, after 20 minute model breaks and 5 minutes between 20s, we have 34 poses in about 2 hours 15 minutes using 2 models; in otherwords WORK FAST! This translates to ripping through alot of paper so I invested in a cheap multimedia sketch book and work front and back 1/2 page. Because the 1st session of model pose is ten 2 minute poses, I sought to set up ten 1/2 pages so worked the fronts intending the backs to be the 2 minute poses. I did this with fast ink wash or watercolor sketches found anywhere. Point being made is working fast and cheap seems to have loosened me up to do less tedious work and get back to sketching... the creative process. Included are works from the book of 20 minutes or less. Enjoy! G.A.- back to it.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Feather - I really like the watercolor at the top and I couldn't agree more about the materials! Mind if I add a link to your blog on mine?

    ReplyDelete