Thursday, January 14, 2010

ICE-watercolor study


Never a dull moment in the big city! Today I thought to utilize the common space in my building so went to the roof top deck to do a watercolor study. The frustration was not in being out of practice (I haven't done a watercolor or landscape in 4-5 months) but rather the fact that it was so cold, 38 floors above the river, that my paint was freezing in the brush as well as on the page. I had to laugh but after the first dozen times of returning indoors for 5 minutes after only painting for 3-5 minutes (depending on if the wind was blowing) the situation lost it's humor. That will teach me to paint in oil! Truth be know, If I were out another 5-10 minutes, I probably would have had to come indoors to thaw my fingertips... I can't paint small in gloves. So this is the East End River from the Manhattan side looking northeast. Enjoy- G.A... chillin' on the Upper East Side.

1 comment:

  1. This is like a VCP anytime... You might want to use hand warmers to keep your water color from freezing... Yes, another good use of heat!! Love the view. You give it a charming personality.

    ReplyDelete