Tuesday, May 14, 2013

NORTH... (not) to Alaska

   The end of the month found me working en plein air in Coupville. While attempting a paint study of Admiralty Lighthouse, I battling 30-50mph winds from the concrete bunker of Fort Casey, enduring the tray toss, the turpentine tump and repeated assaults of grass from the lawnmower dude. 3/4ths of the way into some sort of completion here comes "get the job done Gus" cutting the grass with his industrial sized paint texturizer. After the 3rd pass (less than 2 feet at eye level) I had more grass in the paint then there was paint on the panel; won't have to concern myself with color match on the grass, I have a physical reference! I retired the efforts in favor of having my lighthouse passbook stamped and looking for a new pair of lighthouse socks... what I wear when I plein air these sentries- like good luck.
   When I left the lighthouse, there sat the grassy assailant, a good distance away, on his lawn mower with the power off. I did visually/mentally brand him with pity for the ignorance (or lack of respect) for ruining a 2 hour effort of challenging patience.  Instead as I walked across the vast area of grass (between the lighthouse and where I was set up) I couldn't help but wonder why none of that longer grass had not been touched, after all, nobody walks where I was working along the roof of the underground bunkers. -G.A. on to greener (and possibly previously mowed) pastures.

No comments:

Post a Comment